Thursday, September 20, 2012

Words from a "LOVING" Mother....?

Anyone who knows me, knows about the relationship between my Mother and I. Now that I say that, I realize that the only other person that knows EVERYTHING I've been through with her is my Dad. I've never really had a relationship with her, the courts tried to force me into one when I was younger, back then they didn't really care what the children said. If they had, I would have never had to spend every other Saturday with her. I HATED going to her house every other weekend. Finally, when I was 15 I put an end to it. I had spent SO many years listening to her make rude comments about my dad, I finally had snapped. You see, my dad was my best friend, he was my everything, he was really the only PARENT I had. The constant bad-mouthing made me finally snap. My dad had plenty of bad things he could have said about her, but he didn't. He tried to stay neutral.
So, for the last 16 years, she's been in and out of my life. Every time there is a big moment in my life, she tries to come back into my life, and every time.... I let her, and every time she did something or said something that hurt me, let me down, or screwed something up. EVERY TIME.
So excuse me for not remembering what broke the camels back the last time, but it's been a few years since I told her I was done, to leave me alone. And for those few years, she almost did.

Backtrack 25+ years. Her parents dis-owned her and included my Dad and I in their family. Fast forward those same number of years, my Grandparents accept her back into the family and SHUN ME for breaking ties with her I wonder, if they knew how she treated me, if I would still be in the wrong? (You will see towards the end of this post our recent contact)

Needless to say, I knew (because she was friends with Greg on Facebook) based on my better judgement she would find out soon enough that we were expecting. I also knew because of this, she would try to weasel her way back in.  Now mind you, if I had a daughter (estranged or not), when I found out I was going to be a Grandma I would want to be part of the experience, and the baby's life too. I would pull myself together and do whatever I had to, to be part of that baby's life. Well... needless to say she tried, in her own way.

I swore years ago, that I would NEVER let my children go through the things I did with her. I will never let someone break my children's spirit like she did mine. I would never make my children feel like they're not good enough, like she did. I would never let my children get their hopes up for something that does not get followed through with.

Recent events have just validated everything I know and expect of her.

When she found out I was pregnant, shortly after UPS showed up at my door with a box. It was from her. Is it sad that I was honestly afraid to open in it fear it may be a bomb? Well, it was a bomb, of a different sort. It was my baby book. Looking through it was very emotional. Especially when you're in a very emotional stage of pregnancy. After I got through it, there was a notebook in the back. It was pretty much the "story of her life" and everything that went wrong and how everyone wronged her. Assuming it was a "bash book" and I had heard her bash the people I loved enough in my life, I had NO interest in reading whatever crap she had written, so... I threw it away.

The last month or so, she's been trying to contact through Greg (I suggested he block her LONG ago). Most sounded like late night drunken ramblings but they haven't slowed down. Then the other night, she sent him the following private message:

 Greg, I want you to know that all of the Wikmans are praying hard for both of you, We're on pins and needles right along with you. I wish Kim would free her mind and let go of the hurt, she would be so much more at rest, healthy, and happily able to carry those boys into the new year. I ride the Lakeshore Trail nearly every day. You don't know hard it is for me not to ride up the hill and stop to see you both, but I'll respect her wishes and give her, her time.
 (as a side note, the "Wikmans" refers to my Grandparents, her parents. Who I really haven't heard much from.)

I tried to not let this message bother me. But it really did. She apparently thinks because of HER and my lack of contact with her, that I cannot care for my children. This woman knows absolutely NOTHING about me, how I'm feeling, or what I'm going through emotionally or physically. The only "hurt" I have, is when she tries to contact me. I was able to ignore this message for a few hours before I felt I HAD to reply. Now you see, my Mother is not a sweet, compassionate, loving lady. She is, there's no other word for it, a BITCH.  So I tried to be as nice as I possibly could, while still being honest, in my reply. I replied:
 In all due respect I'm sure this is not easy for you to read but....
All I ask for right now is that you PLEASE stop contacting Greg.
I am not "holding on to any hurt" that is keeping me from sleeping, being healthy, or carry my boys. You don't know what I'm going through, you don't know my life, so please don't assume anything.
I am surrounded by people who love me, are taking care of me, and who make me happy. I choose to surround myself with those people who lift me up. If you respect me at all, please let Greg and I be. 
Minutes later I received this response:
I expected this, and it was not hard for me to read.
I though this was settled and I could go back to life as normal. I was wrong. A few hours later, I received this from her:
It's evident through your message that you are angry. I only hope your children will someday soften your heart. I never assume anything, I have been kept well abreast of what you are going through. If I respect YOU? Respect is earned. I respect Greg.....
And my Grandparents are disappointed in me, for not wanting this in my life? WHY ON EARTH would I want someone SO toxic, in my life? Nevermind the life of my children!
When I read this last email from her, words left my mouth that I don't often say, simply "Fuck You." And then the crying continued. I was going to respond either with those exact words, or with "...and THAT is exactly why you've never been, and never WILL BE in my life." There was SO many things I wanted to say in response, a few would have been; "Obviously YOU having children hasn't softened YOUR heart, how could you EVER say such things to your old child?" Or, "How can you "respect Greg" YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW HIM! or "Yes, you're right. I AM angry. But I'm angry at YOU, for trying to come back into my life and treat me like THIS, like you always have, especially at a time like this." and as much "abreast" as you *think* you know what I'm going through, I obviously am not posting every detail of what we're going through in a mass email to all my friends and family (which apparently is where you're getting your information. Assuming my Grandmother is forwarding my emails to her). But me, trying to be the bigger person (again), I just left it. I blocked her email address and we blocked her from Greg's facebook.
I just sit here, and shake my head. She has never and will never change. She will never be the mother than I never had. She is evil, she is mean, she is condescending, she is fake and someday karma is going to come back around. It's a shame that she is that way, but she is what she is. Regardless, I can guarantee you, my children will NEVER know that kind of pain. I have so many non-blood "family" and friends who are going to love these babies to death, they will never miss out on ANY thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment